Building Department

Town of North Branford
909 Foxon Road
North Branford CT 06471

Phone: 203-484-6008
Fax: 203-484-6018

Stephen Buccitti, Building Official - Email

Lynn Walczak - Building Secretary - Email 

Karl Schiessl, Assistant Building Official - Email


The Building Department is responsible for monitoring all building activities in Town through the issuance of permits and inspections for all new and renovated buildings, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, fireplaces, demolitions and gas and oil tank installations and removals. Permanent files are maintained for all current projects and, upon completion, are coded and filed for future reference. This department is highly regulated by State Statutes and a close working relationship is maintained with the Fire Marshal's Office.
The Building Department Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

NOTICE: STATE BUILDING CODE CHANGES: Be advised a new State of CT Building Code is effect as of October 1, 2022. A listing of the codes in effect can be found by visiting the State of CT DAS website at this link. A link to the applicable changed code sections specific to the State of CT can be found by clicking this link.


Online Building Permit System

For the convenience of both property owners and contractors, the Town of North Branford employs an online permit system. Through an easy to use web portal, you may apply for a building permit, attach supporting documents and check the status of a permit.

You can pay any required fees by credit cards, by mail, or in person. Before applying for a permit, you should review the Building Department web page to see what documentation is required. Please scan and attach supporting documentation with your completed application. Provide as much information as you can on the form as incomplete applications may be rejected.

Activities Requiring a Building Permit Building Permit Application submittal, issuance, and inspection procedures
Required documents when applying for a building permit Property Assessment Deferral Form
East Shore Health Department Call-Before-You-Dig
Chapter 123 Scheduled Fees  Building Fees
Electric Vehicle Charging (EVC) Station Uniform Permit Application Work Exempt from Permits

Click here for Free Energy Code Compliance Software

Click here for Request for Information - Building Department

North Branford Code

No permit to begin work for new construction, alteration, removal, demolition or other building operation, including electrical work, interior plumbing work, installation of furnaces or heating systems and air conditioning systems, shall be issued until the fees prescribed in this section shall have been paid to Department of Building Inspection of the Town of North Branford, nor shall an amendment to a permit necessitating an addition fee because of an increase in the estimated cost of work involved be approved until the additional fee shall have been paid. Except as otherwise provided herein, all fees shall be based upon the fair market value or cost pursuant to the following schedule:

           Permit, Certificate or Installation                   Fee

           Building Permits:

           $1,000 or less in fair market cost                   $36.00

           Each additional $1,000 in value                     $13.00

Activities Requiring a Building Permit

  • New construction

  • Additions to existing buildings - including garages, porches, decks, etc.

  • Interior work that requires structural work

  • Finishing off of basements

  • Swimming pools

  • Sheds, barns, garages, greenhouses

  • Wood and gas stoves, fireplaces

  • Roofing, siding, and replacement windows

  • Signs

  • Demolition

  • Electrical service changes and repairs

  • Electric, plumbing,, heating, air conditioning and oil tank work done in connection with
    a building permit require separate permits for each

  • Other miscellaneous construction as required by law. Call the Building Office with any
    questions or for clarifications

A Zoning Permit is also required for new construction, additions, out building, pools, signs etc.

Homeowners are urged to verify that all contractors have the proper licenses and insurance to do the work they are hired to do. Electricians, Plumbers and HVAC installers are licensed by the State of Connecticut. Home improvements contractors and new home builders must also be registered with the State of Connecticut.

Building Permit Application submittal, issuance, and inspection procedures

  1. If the site is served or to be served by an on-site septic system or a water supply well,
    approval from East Shore District Health Department (203)481-4233, is required
    prior to building permit.

  2. If there are wetlands or watercourses on the site and located within 100 feet of the
    proposed activity, or if the activity may impact a wetland or watercourse, an
    application to the Inland Wetlands and Watercourse Agency may be required.
    Contact the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer at (203)484-6010 to discuss this

  3. A site plan or special use approval may be required from the Planning and Zoning
    Commission, generally for commercial development, accessory dwelling units, or food

  4. After obtaining any required Planning and Zoning Commission and/or Wetland
    Commission approvals for a project, the permit application may be submitted to the
    Building Department.

  5. For new structures, after the foundation is constructed and inspected, an as-built
    survey showing the foundation location must be submitted. All mechanical, electrical,
    or other permits, including Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit must be obtained, if
    applicable. Building inspections will be conducted during construction. A list of
    required inspections will be supplied with the permit.

  6. After all construction and site work is completed, contact the Building Official and the
    Zoning Enforcement Officer for a final Certificate of Occupancy inspection.

  7. When all work has been completed and approved by the Building Official and Zoning
    Enforcement Officer, a Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Zoning Compliance
    will be issued.

Submittal requirements to apply for a Building Permit

The following items are required to be submitted when applying for a building permit:

  • Completed building permit application, zoning permit application form with owner's
    signature and plot plan.

  • Planning and Zoning Commission approval, if applicable.

  • Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency approval, if applicable.

  • Flood permit approval, if applicable.

  • East Shore Health Department Approval, if applicable (if building is served
    by septic system and/or well).

  • Construction plans (2 sets).

  • Proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance.

  • Contractor's name, address, telephone number and a copy of license and/or

  • Applicable Building and Zoning fees.

Building Inspection Process

  • Soil/footing Inspection: Set forms and required reinforcement. Call for inspection
    prior to pouring concrete.

  • Foundation Inspection: (Only on engineered foundations) set forms and required
    reinforcement. Call for inspection prior to pouring concrete.
  • Backfill: Install or apply footing drains, tar membrane, waterproofing and/or
    insulation, if applicable. Call for inspection prior to backfilling.
  • Rough Plumbing/HVAC/Electrical: Set all required test on plumbing system.
  • Framing Inspection: Call for inspection only after all plumbing/HVAC/Electrical
    rough inspections have been approved.  All firestopping components completed.
    All rough inspections may be combined on certain projects, please call ahead.
  • Insulation Inspection: Call for inspection prior to sheetrocking.
  • Acoustical Ceiling: Required by all trades prior top installation of ceiling tile.
  • Final Plumbing/HVAC/Electrical:
  • Final Building Inspection:

Work Exempt From Permit

 Permits will not be required for the following work; 

  • Fences not over 6’ in height
  • Retaining walls that are not over 3’ in height measured from the finished grade at the bottom of the wall to finished grade at the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.
  • Papering, painting, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work not involving structural changes or alterations.
  • Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Use Group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, which are less than 24” deep. Do not exceed 5,000 gallon capacity and are installed entirely above ground.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes and not including service systems.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54” from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3, as applicable in Section 102.1 and Group U occupancies.
  • Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches in height and not containing any electrical, plumbing or mechanical equipment.

[Grandstands] Portable grandstands or bleachers providing seating for fewer than 100 persons when located outside of a building


Request for Information

As of October 1, 2009, any and all requests for information must be submitted to the Building Secretary's email. Please allow the staff a minimum of 3 business days to research the information and get back to you.